The Maryland State Archives Guide to Special Collections
is a web-based tool to search and browse special collections of map, photographic, newspaper, private, business and religious records. For guidance on researching specific collections, see: Additional Search Strategies
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
General Search Tips
- For browsing or simple searches, use Keyword search under Quick Search.
- For more specific searches, use the Advanced Search.
- To navigate directly to a specific collection, series, or item with its collection number, use Collection Number search under Quick Search.
- Be as general as possible with search terms. For example, the Baltimore Sun is cataloged as “Sun” and a search for “Baltimore Sun” will not return the right result.
- If a search returns too many results, try refining your terms. If that is not possible you can use CTRL + F to find a desired term on the page.
"+" Search Modifier
When searching by Keyword
, or using the Advanced Search’s Description
field, the "+"
operator can be used to focus search results. Use "+"
to add additional terms to search by.
- Example: "Baltimore + Photographs" searches for "Baltimore" AND "Photographs".
- Example: "Baltimore American + 1915" searches for "Baltimore American" AND "1915".
Provides easy access by keyword or by collection
- Keyword Search searches multiple fields for the given keywords. It allows the use of the '+' search modifier.
- Keyword searches the following fields:
- Collection Name
- Collection Number search navigates the user to the information page of the collection, series, or item of the given collection number.
- Collection Number search uses only the numerical portion of the collection number, and does not require the "MSA SC" prefix.
- Collection Level: "1399"
- Series Level: "1399-1"
- Item Level: "1399-1-597"
- Sub-Item Level: "1399-1-597-1"
Search based upon selected criteria.
- Collection Name searches name of collection, which often is named after a newspaper title, family, or the collection donor.
- Collection Number searches collection number assigned to each collection. It is a unique number, like a Library call number. It does not require the "MSA SC" prefix.
- Author searches author of collection. Different collections use multiple formats for the author field. If searching by name, use last name. Only use last name, first name syntax if necessary.
- Description searches description field of collection. It allows use of the "+" search modifier
Additional Search Strategies
Access specific types of records.